Friday, August 10, 2007

For the past 11 days Benjamin was on a road trip for work. During this time Mikias and I packed our days. This was my strategy for "dealing with" the absence of Benjamin. We visited cousins Elizabeth & Sarah, played with friends Ethan and Caleb and had a slumber party with pals Collin and Rylie. We had frequent visits with both Grandmas and Grandpas. We saw great-grandparents. We hung out with my friends. We went to church just the two of us. We went out to lunch. We shopped at Target (more than once). Today we went to a park where approximately 50 parents and students met Mikias. So, although it was difficult not having Benjamin here, we did well and I gained some valuable confidence along the way. Attached are some snapshots that capture the week.

In other Mikias news, Benjamin and I are just amazed how far Mikias has come since bringing him home almost 2 months ago. When he first came home we weren't even able to put him down by himself and now he is at the point of almost crawling. He is just working on getting that last leg out from underneath him. The newness hasn't worn off one bit. We still find ourselves saying "he is so damn cute". At the same time we are eager for the nights in which he makes it all the way through asleep. In the meantime, we just enjoy!

The following are links to a few stories that our adoption agency covered on our experience should you be interested. The Ethiopia program has gained substantial interest and we are fortunate to be able to help others as they begin their process. We are scheduled to speak at an informational meeting at the end of August. It is amazing what doors open when you open your life.


http://www.adoptionassociates.net/international/ethiopia/ethiopia_stories/benjamin_and_joanna/

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Wow! You guys are super stars! And you are right, he is damn cute :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Joanna!! Every time Shane is away on business, we all fall apart at home - kidney stones, sinus infections and dehydrated babies!! You'll have to tell me your secret!

Denise Bryant said...

Those 2 articles were very well written. They certainly made me want to hop right onto an airplane and fly over there! Mikias is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. McKinney!
This is Alexandria (Alex) Phillips. I don't know if you remember me, but I was in your math class in, I think, 8th grade. I found your blog through Emily Zisler, and couldn't believe how busy you've been! E-mail me sometime (if you remember me, haha) at onagoldenchain@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Benjamin and Joanna,

I have been reading your adoption story with great interest because I saw that your son comes from the Adera orphanage in Ethiopia. We have just had a refferal for a beautiful babygirl named Meron, and she lives in Adera in Debre Zeit!!! She has lived there since april of this year, so maybe... you have seen her? Maybe you even have pictures? That would be great! We are waiting for a court date now. I would like to ask you some things, maybe you could e-mail me? My adress is p.roel@let.ru.nl

Thanks in advance,
Petra