Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cathedrals, Museum, Shopping and Dancing

Our day started at 2:30am when all 3 of us were up and were apparently very hungry…so we had a family snack.  :)  As it turns out, many of the group was up at the same hour. Evidently, our internal clock is in process of being reset. We were able to go back to sleep until 8am, though.
 
We had a full day of bumming around the city. This morning Mom K, Dad K, Ben and I went with the group to visit 2 cathedrals and a museum. On our trip 2 years ago, we saw the museum, but this guide was really informative. So, most of today's activities were new for us as well. It was neat being with my parents as they were able to learn some history of Ethiopia. At one point, a deacon began to sing and move using this very large drum. It brought tears to my eyes as he spoke so passionately about his country and relayed heavily the message of "when we bring our children back to visit their home country, it is important to expose them to…" and he would cite a variety of things. It reinforced some deeply held beliefs that we already have about our sons and their country.
 
After, we went to lunch where I was able to eat my first authentic Ethiopian meal. The injera was delicious and it made me quite excited to recognize a number of dishes on the menu. Soon after lunch, we had a shift change in which Mom and Dad K went back to the Lodge so that Mom and Dad M could spend some time out in the city. Mikias had a full day of grandparents!
 
The afternoon's activities included some shopping. Caroline, you will be happy to know that your girls now have Ethiopian outfits as requested. It was quite fun seeing all the little African things to buy. We were able to purchase Sintayehu's baptism outfit and have started the collection of small 18 gifts for his first 18 years of Gotcha days. We are finding this a bit challenging as we are trying not to duplicate the things we bought for Mikias. Mom and Dad M. seemed to enjoy this time out and certainly liked the shopping as Scott noted, he hadn't taken very many pictures.
 
The fun part about being out and about is that you get to pay witness to the every day life of Ethiopians. Most people have a notion in their mind of what this may consist of. I find it very intriguing to scan the streets and note the different roles. The shoe shiners, market workers, little kids selling gum or tissue, beggars, women selling vegetables, businessmen, donkeys, stray dogs all seem to play a piece of the puzzle of this country. This is what is going on in their day to day as mine consists of going to work, feeling like I am contributing to something and being with my family. I would dare say we are doing the same things just in a different manner. (well, maybe not the donkeys!)
 
I have really enjoyed talking with my mom and dad since arriving. I know they have had some big moments of "wow", "oh my" and "holy crap". They are doing great for 2 people who have not been out of the country before. I am so proud of them. My mom has made a few comments that have given me chills.
 
Tonight, both sets of parents and Benjamin went to a traditional Ethiopian Dinner and Dancing. Benjamin said they had a great time eating, listening, watching and even Scott dancing. I am anxious to see the video. Mikias and I hung out tonight, watched a movie and laid in bed together. He is doing a great job so far even though he hasn't been able to be out in the city. (We will save that for another post…)
 
Tomorrow we are heading on an overnight visit to the North. I am very excited for this as Mikias is able to go and we are visiting the Blue Nile Gorge, which may parallel, in its own way, the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately, we will not be able to post, as we will likely be unable to have access to the Internet. We will be sure to post again as soon as we can. In the meantime, to our families…moms and dads are doing well and we are soaking up every minute!
And…in case you may have forgot we only have 3 days until we meet Sintayehu!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi McKinney and Karwan Families:

So good to hear about your adventures! Can't wait to hear more details and see some pictures. We're so happy for all of you amd look forward to meeting Sintayehu!

Love, Dave and Barb Unger

Wendy said...

So glad to hear that you are all doing well!

You've packed quite a bit into your trip so far. Only three more days!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear stories from Mom and Dad! Have fun tomorrow!! Looking forward to your post on Tuesday!

-Alison :)

John Bernia said...

Sounds amazing, Joanna... have fun tomorrow!! And... just a few more days!! (Remember when it was a few MONTHS?!?) Looking forward to the next post and thinking of you all. ~Jen

Anonymous said...

I just booked a flight to come to Detroit for Easter! Please include me in your plans, Joanna and Ben!

-Alison :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear things are going so well. I am looking forward to hearing everyone's stories.

Looking foward to seeing my girls in outfit's from your son's birth country.

Please tell Mom and Dad that Granpa is doing well...and should be headed back the Santuary on Monday or Tuesday.

Stay safe...enjoy your travels. Can't wait to hear about Wednesday.

Love
Caroline

DDanielle said...

Loved this post (well I pretty much love all your posts lol). I can't wait to see pictures.....well I just can't wait to see you!

Deanna said...

It has been so wonderful following along and thinking of you guys daily. Every night Seth is praying for Mikias and his new brother (as is the rest of the family for your entire family).

Continue your amazing trip and know that there are many of us here in the states living vicariously through you :-) You are doing a wonderful job of keeping us updated with great detail.

Can't wait to hear more! Godspeed!

Brent, Jennifer, Nikolai and Wags said...

I had tears of joy in my eyes as I read the latest posts- thinking about your family in Ethiopia and that it's only a matter of hours until you meet Sintayehu! Good luck! Enjoy! We are thinking about you and can't wait to meet Sintayehu!!!
Love, Brent, Jennifer, Nikolai & Wags

kikstra said...

So exciting, can't wait to hear more about your trip north- and of course hear about your first meeting with that adorable Sintayehu!

Unknown said...

Hey -
I made myself wait to read until this morning - I can hardly stand the suspense and I am only a bystander! Praying that you are safe and that the family is seeing all that needs to be seen and that both little men will stay well throughout the travels :-)

Can't wait to see tomorrow's pics!

Unknown said...

Finally got a chance to check this website out. What an awesome way to let everyone share your experience(s). Looking forward to the day to you meet Sintayehu!!! Central Office sends your their best wishes!!

Janet