Sunday, July 15, 2007

A lot of firsts

I realize that it has been way too long since Joanna and I have posted anything on here. I often look at all of our postings from a month ago and think that there is no way that any given day now will ever compare to all of our experiences in Ethiopia. I guess maybe that's why I've been absent from this blog for a few weeks. But, the reality is that our life has definitely been interesting lately. There are so many new things that have become part of our everyday lives. Late-night feedings, changing diapers, play time, naps, and walks around the neighborhood are the norm now. I guess that means we're parents!
.
It has been so great introducing Mikias to so many of our family members and friends. We've had a lot of visitors in the past few weeks and Mikias is really great with handling all these new faces. It's been especially neat to see other children interact with him. We are so grateful for all the people that have stopped by our house or called to check up on us. Actually, during the first couple weeks we were home these little visits or conversations were the best. They gave Joanna and I a little bit of time to chat with people and discuss our trip...and (to be honest) gave us a chance to take a breath while someone else held Mikias for a few minutes.
.
It's funny how even the most mundane everyday tasks seemed to have a little more excitement to them. For instance the "first time we took Mikias to church" or "the first time we took Mikias grocery shopping" or "the first time we took Mikias through the car wash". Also, we've taken him to a wedding and we've got our first camping trip planned in a couple weeks. It's kind of like we're introducing Mikias to our lives. He's always so good and takes all the new experiences in stride.
.
Overall, everything is going great. Our routine is much more manageable. We're getting slightly more sleep. Mikias is healthy and happy...and growing quickly. We're all having a lot of fun.
.

7 comments:

DDanielle said...

Thanks for the post! We really need to come out and visit. Daniel and Mikias need to do some bonding:-)

shelly said...

great update....love the pictures...

Karen said...

Thanks for the post! Glad to hear everyone is doing well. The pictures are lovely. Hoping to see you guys sometime relatively soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mikias and Joanna and Benjamin,

Love the pictures!!!!!! You are such a cutie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Grandma and Papa K

SarahLechel16 said...

Hello Mrs. Mckinney,

This is Sarah Lechel from BMS.
I hope you had a good trip to Ethiopia! I hope Mikias is behaving well for you guys! :)
He is so cute and i would love to meet him sometime! I miss you and wish i had one more year with you in class but I'm on my way to highschool! yay! :P I'll probably stop by sometime to say hello. Well have fun with Mikias!
I'll talk to you later.


Best Wishes,

Sarah Lechel


P.S. Brent Deweerdt says hello :)

Kaitlyn Miller said...

Hello Mrs. Mckinney,Mr.Mckinney,and Mikias.

It's Kaitlyn Miller, from algebra.


Oh my gosh, i miss you sooo much.
I bet your having just a ball with the new baby. It's sounds pretty hectic, but im sure your enjoying every moment of it.

I'm really interested in this whole site and everything but i dont get on that much. I'm always busy at cheer and with friends (suzanne). But i'm really looking forward to hearing more and i really want to meet him in the park or whatever we talked about.

contact me for any news

littlekmchic@aim.com
or call my cell 810 441 7571

Love Kaitlyn Miller.

Ms. Cory Savage said...

Hi Joanna and Benjamin!

Alison sent all of the girls a link to your blog, and I have to tell you that I'm truly inspired by all that you two have set out to do and have accomplished. Mikias is such a handsome little man and I'm so happy for the both of you. Congratulations on your new addition. :)
--Cory