Friday, June 29, 2007

Home By 7 Months

I remember before we received the court date, Benjamin and I were hoping that we would have have him home by his 7 month. We do! It is today!

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur. We still have many moments where we look at Mikias and then at each other and can't believe he is really here. When you have an idea in your mind for so long, it is hard to change that idea into a living being. Well, until he cries.

He is gradually getting adjusted. We have been able to get him off his every 2 hour feeding from the orphanage to a more normal (for us) every 4 hour suck-a-thon. We think his ear infection is gone. His snots definitely are. He is not going to bed at 2 in the afternoon anymore. While all of these are good things, it is also weird to know that some of his characteristics of Africa are leaving. It is comforting to know he is more on our schedule but at the same time sad knowing that his "Africa time schedule" is gone. He no longer regularly sees people whose skin matches his. I no longer smell Africa on him. Instead, we are beginning to define a new normal for him and us which includes still trying to figure most everything out.

I am enjoying this time of transition but am saddened by already forgetting things of Ethiopia. Our pictures show some things, but can't replace vivid images. Our clothes have long been washed (yet, not put away) erasing the smell. However, I still can't bring myself to wash his socks from the orphanage. Every once in awhile I still open the plastic bag and smell a pretty distinct scent. We still have a chair of "stuff" we brought back and can't find the time to put somewhere. Yet, this is also comforting to have so I can pick things up and imagine where we were at when we purchased it.

I hope we raise him well. I hope we can replay enough of Ethiopia into our lives that he feels connected to his birth country. And although I know he will soon be a typical American toddler, I hope we can instill enough into our lifestyle for him to be defined as an Ethiopian American toddler.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben and Joanna,

It's good to hear more news about the two of you and your son.

Every child goes through adjustments, no matter where they are born. Mikias will do well BECAUSE he has both of you to love and care for him. And I know there are lots of hugs and kisses - also tickles - in the McKinney and Karwan families.

Give him a hug from the Ungers too.

Love, Barb Unger

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanna, Benjamin and Mikias,

I remember way back to when you and Benjamin were first married, and maybe it was even during your engagement, when you first mentioned that you were thinking of adopting. I remember the Easter dinner at Alison's and Tom's house when you and Benjamin told us of your plans to begin the adoption process. I remember all the ups and downs of the process. I remember the night you called saying you had a referal, opening the card saying that we had a grandson, taking you to the airport and saying goodbye as you went to the other side of the world to get your son. I remember running down the halls at school to get to my computer to see the first pictures of you and Benjamin holding you son. I remember seeing the McKinney family walking toward us at the airport. I fondly remember Mikias's first night in the U.S.A. as he woke every hour and a half and if I was lucky every two hours to eat. I remember those beautiful eyes staring at me in the wee hours of the morning and I cherish 3:30a.m. when in the midst of the worst stinky diaper, I got my first genuine smile and that moment when we connected as grandma and grandson. He will not lose his Ethiopian roots, you two won't let him. You will share all the pictures, videos and memories of your remarkable trip with him when he is old enough.
I know that as Mikias grows you will educate you son about both of his countries, just as you have educated everyone who has read your blog, about the wonderful country of his birth.
Thank you Joanna, Benjamin and Mikias for enriching my life.

Love,
Mom K.

Deanna said...

The smell of Africa is something that I have longed for since I visited three years ago. I believe that very smell was a big part of why James and I decided to adopt from Ethiopia-it encompasses what Africa is. I know that sounds melodramatic, but I think you know what I am talking about. I miss that smell so much! I know that once I am able to smell it again, the memories will come flooding back. I am sure you guys will visit Africa again. Then you will be able to relive that smell, too.

And through the act of worrying about maintaining his heritage, you are proving that this is something you will never allow him to lose.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!

Thank you for taking us through this process with you...I have laughed, cried and prayed as you made this emotional and physical journey.
I cannot wait to meet Mikias, he is absolutely one of the cutest babies I've ever seen! You guys are a true inspiration to all, and I couldn't be happier for you. Keeping you in my thoughts daily.....Becky Umscheid

Anonymous said...

Just checked back in and got caught up since the last time I wrote... glad to hear you are back safely. Joanna, if you stop in at the retreat, I think you will definitely win the award for the Most Interesting "What I Did This Summer." :-)

Take care and God bless you all!
Love, Jackie Madacki