Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Anticipation

I am the type of person who likes to challenge myself. I am eager to research something. I am excited to start it, organize it and then be persistent enough to get to the point of no return. Then, I feel like I am going to puke. This is the point where I need the gentle nudge and the "pep talk". I am not going to jump off with both feet, but I will drag my foot on the ground until there is nothing left to do but fall off the cliff. Right now, I am hanging on by the nail of my toe and know that the edge is in sight.

We are ready, I think. At very least we are as ready as we are going to be considering we board the flight today and won't be back in our own bed until the night of June 16th.

Oh, the anticipation. We anticipate the flight. We anticipate the feeling of stepping on to a continent for which we have never seen. We anticipate meeting Henock. We anticipate holding Henock. We anticipate staring at him for hours. We anticipate seeing the orphanage, the kids, the poverty. We anticipate meeting his birth mother. We anticipate seeing our son's birth country and trying to remember everything we can. We anticipate the flight home (a lot). We anticipate going through customs on the way home. We anticipate seeing our families at the airport. I can't wait.

And although we anticipate much, we do not expect. Whatever happens after boarding this flight we know will forever change us. We are excited to even have this opportunity and have enjoyed the ride. Now, let's go bring this kid home!

Signing off from the States with joyful anticipation of signing on in Africa!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a fun, safe and enlightening trip. ...I'll see your whole family in a few weeks.

---Steve

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to hear from you soon! Safe travels and soak up your baby time-they grow up fast! Keep in mind that parenting can be tough, but it is all worth it! See you when you are three!

Love-The Sigler's

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning thinking, this is the day Joaanna and Benjamin are heading off to meet their son. Oh my goodness, the tears just keep welling up. Enjoy every minute, you two so deserve this wonderful time. Please give Henock a big kiss and hug from Grandma K. I continue to pray until I can hug all THREE of you. God speed!!!!
Love,
Grandma K.

Deanna said...

I read this with tears in my eyes. We are anticipating with you!

Anonymous said...

Joanna and Ben...I am so proud and excited for you. I see how you engage with your two nieces...your son is so blessed to have you as parents. I can't wait to see the three of you at the airport.

I love you.
Caroline

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, wow! I'll pray God bless every bit of your trip.

DDanielle said...

THinking of you, and I can't wait to hear how it went.....take lots of video:-)