Sunday, June 3, 2007

A wonderful surprise!

I wanted to take a moment and share a very moving experience I had this past week at school. Although I started the week "stressing" about how to get everything done, I ended the week feeling very comfortable that my students were left in good hands and that all would work out just fine. However, the surprise of the week came midway when I walked into the cafeteria after school on Wednesday to about 100 of my students yelling "surprise".

My student teacher had organized a surprise baby shower complete with pizza, pop, a 5 tiered cupcake tower, a very large poster card and so many gifts for Henock. It was amazing and I can't begin to tell you how moving an experience this was for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing this entire adoption process with my students and can't begin to express my appreciation to them for their openness, enthusiasm and genuine interest in my life. Somewhere this school year between algebra equations and "geometry", a relationship outside of math grew and my adoption experience was enriched because of this. Here are a few pictures from a moment in my life greatly affected by some wonderful young people.


4 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, what a fun surprise! Those cupcakes are great!

Anonymous said...

Dear Joanna and Ben,

We wish you the very best on your flights to pick up Henock. What a blessing for him to have great parents like both of you coming for him. You will be super parents and parenting will come naturally. If you make a mistake only you will know. May God bless the McKinney family.

Love,

Mr. & Mrs. Lewandowski

Anonymous said...

What a precious blessing! You have some very compassionate students!

Anonymous said...

Joanna and Ben-
What a wonderful surprise. I too had a surprise shower from my co-workers on a day when I was really stressed and doubting my ability to parent a helpless child, and it was such a "pick me up." You two will be terrific parents, and clearly you have a wonderful support system to love this new addition to your family. Your son is adorable and looks to be getting chubbier by the minute:) I will be thinking of you and praying for the three of you in your travels. I can't wait to meet him!

Love
Debbie