Friday, June 8, 2007

Introducing Mikias Henock McKinney!!





In Benjamin’s words…

What a great day! We went to the Adera orphanage this morning to pick up our son. It was incredible. The orphanage was quite nice. We met with the director in his office for a few minutes and then a caregiver appeared holding our little boy. He was wearing the outfit we sent for him. Of course we both started crying right away. The first time I held him is definitely something I’ll always remember. Mikias smiled for Joanna almost immediately.

In Joanna’s words…

Wow! Does life get any better than this? The orphanage was amazing and Mikias is beautiful. When they placed him in my arms, he smiled and I melted. As I watched Benjamin hold him, I knew our lives would never be the same (for so many reasons). He was so well cared for! The nannies were all so wonderful, the director very warm and all of the staff very welcoming. We received a tour of the orphanage and were able to be with all of the children for a little bit. They sang to us and we sat in the middle of them. They kept kissing and hugging us. Leaving was difficult for many people, including us.

From both…

The rest of the day, we have spent trying to get to know Mikias and replaying this morning events. We have recapped the crazy, and I mean crazy, ride to the orphanage talking about everything we remember seeing. The roads were so busy with cars, people, animals and our driver only took out a couple of curbs. There was a man carrying this very wide basket on this head. Another man was herding his cattle along the highway and there were many people out and about just sitting in front of their stores. Not too mention, the roads were not even roads. They looked more like compacted mud hills that we had to navigate through.

Mikias has been a joy. It is really strange trying to figure out what a baby needs without having access to much. The orphanage sent us with one warm bottle and that is all we had for a bit. Alemu was able to get us formula for the meantime. We will worry about more of that later. It is interesting trying to find the house cook to boil water to let it cool down to prepare a bottle. The cook actually just gave us a thermos of hot water so that will help us make his bottles through the night. We put his first diaper on backwards and are nervous as all get out to try and bathe him in a shower that’s not the easiest to use.

We think we’ve figured out that Mikias must be able to distinguish familiar sounds or color very well. He seems to be comforted a little more by the workers at the guest house than by us. He’s getting used to us just like we’re getting used to him!

We’re not sure what tomorrow holds for us. We’ll have to talk to Alemu tonight about what the schedule is. We’re sure it can’t possibly be as thrilling as today, but you never know!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!


...I saw him first.

-Steve

Anonymous said...

I am just bawling in my office right now. I am so happy for you both. Mikias is a beautiful name for a beautiful son.

...I saw him second. After Stephen jokingly sent me an email saying "check the blog" and I had to call him at work to call him a jerk.

-Alison :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, my grandson is a doll!!! It is a wonderful name. I don't know what to say, I cant even type this note--I am crying so hard that Tears are falling all over the keyboard. He looks so wonderful in both your arms..Enjoy every second with your little guy.
I was third!!!
XOXXOOXXOO,
Mom K.

DDanielle said...

OMG, have tears in my eyes thinking of you!

Deanna said...

Wow! He is so adorable :) Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Mandy said...

WOW! You guys I am so happy for you. What a blessing! Enjoy every second and soak it all in. It doesn't get any better than this!

Anonymous said...

Tears everywhere...what a beatiful son! Can't wait to see my newest nephew Mikias.

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! What else can be said...we're so excited to see him in person and Collin can't stop saying his name:) Congrats again keep us posted.
All our love,
The Becks

Abby said...

You put tears in my eyes! You all look so happy! I am so excited for you both! You know that first time you saw him will never be forgotten! Congrats to the new parents!

I can't wait to go shopping for him!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm crying too! He is so beautiful and you two are just glowing! Blessings to you and your beautiful son. Enjoy every moment!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It doesn't get any better. Congratulations Ben & Joanna! What a wonderful son.

Wishing the McKinney Family all the best.

John

jasonrug said...

Congratulations to all three of you. May God bless these first days together as well as all the future you will have together. May he return all of you back to us safely. We're celebrating and praying for you guys! God is good! I can't wait to meet the little man!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous day for you and thank God for the internet (I mean that literally)! I couldn't wait to get home to access the blog - and it was fantastic. You all look marvelous!

You can show all these to Mikias when he is older as a great example of family/sibling rivalry and how it works!

Watching and waiting patiently for more news and praying that your time there continues to go well.

Kim

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully blessed family you are. Mikias couldn't be cuter. And no, in my experience, having your own baby in your arms does not get any better than this.

Best wishes, safe travel and a lifetime of health and happiness.

Donna O.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the tears are coming down here too. We are SO happy for the three of you. Mikias is a beautiful child. May God continue to bless all of you.

Love,
The Unger Family

Denise Bryant said...

I love his name! He's such a cute baby. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the McKinney family. What a beautiful baby a Mikias Henock is a perfect name for him. I can only imagine the joy you experienced when you first saw Mikias and saw his smile.

Enjoy each and every moment and I'm sure you will have a few laughs to share on the blog.

Mr. & Mrs. Lewandowski

P.S. Steve -- we are number 25 to see the pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

I hearded the entire Evans clan into my parents computer room so that they could see your son. What a beautiful family you make! We can't wait to see you all in person. Enjoy the rest of your trip, and have a safe trip home.

Karen said...

Congratulations! Enjoy getting to know your beautiful Mikias!!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for the three of you! We hope that everything is going well. We are now teaching Caleb to say, "baby Mikias"! Can't wait to see all 3 of you! Ejnoy every minute with your son--time flies and they are grown up before you know it! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

mikias,
you are so cute! ;) it's mckenzie grace clifton. mama says i could look at your picture on the computer, so i did! maybe when you get home and get settled in, we can have a playdate! i know i'm only a few months older, but i have lots to teach you! :) don't give your mama and daddy too hard of a time. it takes a while to get used to us little people. when you go to sleep tonight, remember Jesus loves you. at least that is what mama and daddy tell me alot. oh, and when you're ready for a doggie (which will be soon!), i know some pretty good lines to use on your mama. just let me know, ok? see you soon!!!!!
mckenzie grace clifton

Anonymous said...

Joanna and Ben, Mikias is absolutely beautiful. I, like so many other people who have posted here, am just crying my eyes out right now. I have been thinking about the 3 of you non-stop since you left, and feel so happy for your beautiful little family. I can't wait to meet him! Enjoy the rest of your stay there- and Joanna, don't forget to take a long picture for your picture frame!!! :) Love you guys! ~Jen

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely beautiful! We are thinking of all of you!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. McKinney
Hi! This is Nicole Ladd (and family); I finally found your blog! We all think that Mikias Henock is such a beautiful baby and a great name for him! You're in our prayers and good luck over the summer!
The Ladd Family

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mrs Mckinny ; your new son, i must say so myself, is quite cute

Joe Craddock

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!