Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Drumroll please........

We have accepted the referral of a 2 month old baby boy named, Sintayehu. He is beautiful! We received the referral yesterday and have been staring at his pictures and thinking about him ever since.

We have been in this process for over a year and you never quite know what your reaction will be when the time comes. We knew this day would come, but it is still very overwhelming to look at every possible detail of your new child, yearn to touch him and then anticipate all that is to come.

We were so excited to bring Mikias upstairs to open the email with Sintayehu's picture and information. However, Mikias had other plans...the CD's really needed to be pulled off the shelf, the tin box which holds archaic maps surely needed reorganizing, and he would not have a chair on wheels stay in one place! As Benjamin and I read about and stared at our new son, I am pretty sure Mikias looked hilarious running around behind us knowing we weren't paying one lick of attention to him.

We did print off pictures and gave one to Mikias to hold. He said "Oh, Wow!" for one second and threw it back on the coffee table as if he was trying to appease us. We did keep repeating Sintayehu's name and he could only get out the last bit which amounted to "YEAH HOO!!!" So, loving your brother is a learned trait. We've got time for that...in fact, a life time!

We asked our parents to come over late last night for the news and pictures. We didn't tell them anything before they arrived. However, my Mom and Dad brought wine and Jill and Scott brought comfort food. Hmm...have we done this before?

And as if all of that isn't enough...our referral came on the same day as me accepting a new position as Curriculum Director of my school district. You know how you have one of those moments in your life where everything seemingly falls in to place...and then you wake up the next morning with fear in your eyes and an ache in your stomach. One day at a time....

Benjamin has this saying he has used with me repeatedly during the past couple of years..."Is it an Ortonville Day or Africa Day?" Ortonville is the "ville" I work in and when my response is Ortonville it usually means I have had some great moment with my students or feel challenged by my profession in a positive way. When my answer is Africa it usually means my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of a continent for which I feel called to and a country I feel deeply committed to in some strange way.

Yesterday was an "Africanville" day.... Who am I kidding...it was a "YEAH HOO" kind of day!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I find myself looking at my newest nephew's picture (which is framed next to Mikias)...I can only imagine what you have been doing. I can't wait to meet the little guy. I am praying for a speedy flawless homecoming.

Caroline

Heidi said...

Yay! Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys and I can't wait to meet him! :)

Anonymous said...

I must be a bad uncle. The pic I printed of Sintayehu still has no frame.... just a magnet.

-Steve

Beth & Rico said...

Congratulations! On your new son and your new career path!

Jill said...

That is so awesome that you are starting this wonderful journey again....I cannot wait to follow you! Blessings

Abby said...

"Yeah HOO" We are so excited for you and your guy and Ryan are only about 1 month apart. When was he born? You know I have been checkig your blog EVERY DAY waiting to "hear" this news!

Congrats on the new job too! Does this take you out of the classroom or is it a part time addition?

Abby said...

Just realized that my name didn't show up and I have some BAD grammar and spelling...sorry!

~Abby and the rest of the Sigler crew!

The Beck Family said...

He's a cutie, and seems to love those fingers:). Can't wait to see him in person.

Karen said...

Congratulations again, Mikias, Joanna and Ben!

DDanielle said...

Yipee! I am so happy for you two on both fronts:-) I'm sure Mikias is going to love his brother very much!

Mandy said...

Congratulations on your new son! We can not wait to meet him!

Mandy and Jason

Mindy said...

Congratulations!!! I'm am so excited about all the referrals and the fun family moments that are taking place this week/month/year/decade!!! :) Hoping everything continues to go smoothly bringing home your second son from Ethiopia!

Denise Bryant said...

Congratulations!!! I'm really excited for you to grow your family and to see how Mikias will respond to his new baby brother!! Yay! And congrats on the new job, that's great!

Jason and Colleen said...

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for your family. Can't wait to get all of these children home!!!

The Clifton Family said...

Post pics of Sintayehu as soon as you can!!! :) We are soooo excited for you and SO AWESOME to hear the news about all your life changes. You will be a GREAT curriculum director, and will continue to be a GREAT mommy....with 2 boys!!!! How incredible and wonderful. God has blessed you my friend, around the world and back again :)

Krista said...

Congratulations, Joanna! Could you have imagined a bigger week? Your days are about to be filled up in a bigger and better way than you could have ever imagined. I hope you meet your new son sooner rather than later!

kikstra said...

Congrats! I'm finally catching up on your blog- the image of Mikias tearing things apart while you're at the computer cracks me up and reminds me so much of the things that happen here!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for your growing family and am so moved by your heart Joanna. It's 6:57 am and I have watery eyes as I read your amazing and exciting news. Can I also throw out a "WOOP WOOP" for my new curriculum director!!!

Kelly Sawyer