Monday, December 8, 2008

Sinking in

I'm sitting here listening to Mikias attempt to go to sleep on his first night without a pacifier. He's not "resting comfortably" to say the least. There are almost 20 seconds gaps without crying so we're getting there. We've got to break the habit sometime. There will be so many changes for Mikias in the coming months (new brother, new room, etc.) we though we'd start slow...turns out sleeping without a pacifier is not "starting slow" according to Mikias. We'll see how things go.

Anyway, I wanted to pass along some info about Sintayehu's name that my mom came across last week:

Sintayehu is a poetic name. The literal meaning is "how much have I seen"! It is a kind of expressive name that leaves new mothers wondering when they see their newborn baby. It is a very beautiful name.

It is pronounced Sin - TIE - u.


I actually confirmed the pronunciation when I spoke to the owner of Taste of Ethiopia as I was picking up dinner for us on Friday night. She said I had it right.

Needless to say, we are still super excited (of course) about our new boy. It was a bit of a whirlwind week last week and things are really starting to sink in. We're realizing that there is a ton of work to do get ready for the baby. Most importantly, we need to prepare Mikias' room so he can move and Sintayehu can get the crib. It feels like there is an endless list of things to accomplish before we even get to that...one day at a time. Also, we're trying to work out arrangements with Joanna's work schedule and my work schedule and how it is going to fit with travel and having two children. I think we've got a pretty good plan, it's just a matter of getting it work for us and our family.

As for the adoption process itself, we're now waiting to hear about a date for Sintayehu's court case in Ethiopia. This is the day when the adoption is actually final. I wouldn't anticipate this will happen until at least a month from now...could be longer of course. After that's all final we'll be able to make travel arrangements.

Finally, I want to mention what an awesome age Mikias is at right now. Of course I've thought this every step along the way! He's absorbing (and repeating) so much information. He's really into singing Happy Birthday probably because there are so many birthdays in our family in November & December. I think he assumes that when there are a bunch of people together now that it must be someone's birthday. He even gathers his toys together sometimes to do this...hilarious. But, the best thing by far is something he's only been doing for a few days now. He'll be playing and then totally unsolicited he'll come up to me, hug my leg, and say "I love you, daddy!". I say "I love you too, Mikias" and then he rushes back to playing. There's probably not a better feeling in the world.

Speaking of Mikias, he's finally asleep...and the house is quiet again.

4 comments:

Jason and Colleen said...

I really like the meaning of his name. That will have a lot of significance in his life.

Anonymous said...

I recall getting Alyssa off of the pacifier - she was so high strung and jittery you would have thought she was kicking a coke habit! One minute at a time - but the pacifier will be for the new baby, and Mikias will certainly be the "big boy" Congratulations on your growing family!

Wendy said...

Congratulations on getting the news about your son! I love the meaning of his name. :) Glad to hear that Mikias is doing so well, too.

DDanielle said...

Very sweet about the name. Daniel just transferred his pacifier love to a blankie. Then we thought we were clever during the move because mysteriously blankie was not around anymore...and he didn't ask for it....But then he just started to love Bear and Puppy. They are in bed with him right now...oh and one of his cars is sleeping with him tonight too. Honestly, Bear, Puppy, and Big Car (or loader, or cement mixer, or truck whatever he is in the mood for) are better than those pacifiers. We would lose them and those things can be so stinking hard to find!
Oh and the other day he found his blankie....I believe that just stays on the bed now.