Sunday, January 4, 2009

Merry Christmas...Happy New Year...and we have a court date!

The holiday season was so much fun this year with Mikias. He really enjoyed being around everyone, especially his cousins. He can't seem to get enough of them. He is old enough to want to be with them, but usually ends up being the third person in a string of three running around whichever house we are at.

For the most part, the break from work was good. We had such high expectations of getting a new room together, cleaning out some much needed files and well, you know, doing all the other things that should be done all along. As fate would have it, we spent a good portion of the break sick and none of the aforementioned happened. Such is life...Ben and I work really well with deadlines, so perhaps getting ready for Sintayehu's arrival will be another example of this.

Speaking of deadlines, we received word that Sintayehu's court date is February
25th! This is the day that all parties involved have to have all the proper paperwork to finalize the adoption. Court dates can go through on the first time, however there is no guarantee. We are cautiously optimistic that all will go as planned and will be able to start to make travel plans in conjunction with the embassy date. Typically, this would happen 4-6 weeks after a successful court date!

Honestly, Feb 25th seems like a long ways a way! Benjamin and I agree that this adoption has been a little harder as the time frame has been extended and as parents already, we have an acute awareness of what we are missing out on right now. Having said that, we do take some comfort in knowing that he is surrounded by his people and is soaking up what Ethiopia has to offer him right now. I know we both think continuously of our little guy and hope he is being loved by those geographically close, yet feels the many thoughts that go out to him from this side of the world too!

I have to admit, that sometimes when I am with Mikias, I think to myself... is it possible to love another child as much as I do him? But, when I stare repeatedly at Sintayehu's picture, I already know that answer.

Here are a few pictures of our holidays!

5 comments:

Abby said...

Very Excited to hear that you have a court date! We would LOVE to see pictures of your new son! I think he and Ryan will be VERY close in age!

DDanielle said...

Great pictures! The court date seems so close to me, but I guess it is different when you think about what you are missing. I like the way you are looking at it though, let him soak up what he can of Ethiopia, great attitude:-)

Beth & Rico said...

Congrats on a court date!! It will be nice to bring your son home near spring...bringing him home in the winter is no fun!! Beth

Mindy said...

Congrats on the court date! It does feel REALLY far away, doesn't it? And I feel the same way when I look at my daughter, Aubrie, and realize just what we are missing in Mimi's life right now. But, Aubrie also offers a GREAT distraction... :) Looks like you had a great Christmas and I'm excited for all of us who's lives will be changed in 2009! Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanna,

That's great news that you have a court date!

Thanks for your post on my blog and for reassuring me about the meeting. We'll keep our eye out for Ben. We would love to talk to the couple that you mentioned that used our agency - can you pass on our email or phone number to them? I think you have both, but let me know if you don't. I figured I would respond here on your blog, just in case you didn't check back on my post.
Thanks so much.
:) Wendy