Thursday, January 22, 2009

What I told Mikias

On Tuesday I went to pick up Mikias from daycare (my new routine since Joanna's new job). When we got back in the car NPR was replaying Obama's inaugural address. I really wanted to listen to it again so I told Mikias we were going to listen to this instead of music...he was ok with it.

Then I told Mikias that Obama was our new President. I told him how people all over the country were excited about the change it looks like this man will bring. I told him how Obama is going to try to be someone who first talks and listens to people instead of quickly starting wars. I told Mikias how Obama's election proved that people are considering the content of one's character rather than the color of one's skin. I told Mikias that President Obama's daddy was born in Africa, in the country right next to where Mikias was born...he thought that was pretty cool...I do too.

The past couple days I've picked up Mikias from daycare, loaded him into the car, and asked "Do you want to listen to music?". "No," Mikias says, "Obama!!".

2 comments:

Beth & Rico said...

O-Ba-Ma, O-Ba-Ma....keep talking about him with Mikias - that's awesome!! Beth P.

DDanielle said...

Awww cute. I made Daniel watch the inauguration. It was cute to hear him say President Obama and Inauguration. Manu didn't watch, he went down for a nap with one president and woke up to another.