Sunday, April 19, 2009

Shh...Babies Healing

The title of this post is perhaps my favorite sign that I pass regularly as I walk around the intensive care unit. The word healing brings so much hope and we have been told repeatedly that when Taye is sleeping, he is healing. In fact, his heart rate has recently dropped into the 120's when he sleeps (which is a good thing as he is relaxed). When he was first admitted, we had moments where 208 would flash on the screen and of course bells would go off. In any event, when Taye sleeps, he is healing and I think we are too.

Honestly, Wednesday is a day I would like to forget. I do feel after we get to a place where we are comfortable with our seemingly new normal for the moment, we will have to heal with the difficutly of Wednesday. But, for now, we focus on our "day to day" and the strides that appear to be made on a small scale each day.

Last night Benjamin (and my brother) stayed the night with Taye. He awoke for feedings and then went back to sleep with relative ease. When I arrived this morning, Benjamin was rocking Taye and they both looked quite content. My first feeding with Taye resulted with interaction that included Taye grabbing for my hair and even a small smirk. Others may call it a smile, but for protective reasons, I think Benjamin and I prefer to call it a smirk until we are assured that both corners of his lips do in fact reach upward. In any event, the interaction which clearly included eye movement and some small reaction to us stimulating him, resulted in all of us tearing up. This was indeed our small baby step for today.

We have had numerous family and friends bounce in and out of our room during the past few days. Those who have come by for a second time, comment on his progress, which is very encouraging. His eye movement was noticably different today. Additionally, towards the later part of his afternoon, Taye clearly lifted his right leg. His right big toe now holds the coveted "glowing red-oxygen marker", so we speculated the light was attracting to him, therefore encouraging movement. It certainly is attractive to Mikias as he reaches into Taye's bed to touch his toe. Today, Mikias held Taye's hand. So sweet.

Mikias has been doing really well. He has been staying with my sister for most of the days. He loves it as he is able to play with his cousins. Today he had a visit to the fire station with his Uncle Rick, so his day was great. Just recently understanding the transition from one child to two, Benjamin and I have been pretty sensitive to Mikias during this time. Fortunately for us, we have a huge support of people who have been able to ensure that Mikias spends time with each of us each day both in and out of the hospital. I do have to put a plug in here for the hosptial children's garden/play area. This massive room has allowed us to spend some valuable time with Mikias while feeling only a moment away from Taye.

Overall, today was a good day. We decided to write the goals on the board today after he did them. As Jill pointed out, it gives us that good feeling when you write something on a list and are able to check it off. So today, he moved his eyes more, had a small smirk, reached for things often and lifted his right leg more than once. CHECK!

Tomorrow morning Taye has a CT scan with a long EEG later in the day. We anticipate tomorrow to be a bit busier than the weekend in terms of tests and follow up, but also hope for additional small moments of baby steps towards healing for all of us...but especially our little Taye Sintayehu McKinney.

Let is be known, how much we appreciate the many thoughts, prayers and support that we feel as we move through our days.

24 comments:

Andrew Vaz said...

We are praying and it has been passed on to many more that are.

Unknown said...

Writing goals on the board... I hear you coming back :-) We are keeping the prayers up and the word out, rest (and heal) as often as you can too.

Anonymous said...

So very glad to hear that Taye is progressing and that Mikias is doing well too. I continue to pray for strength for you both, and you have many more people praying for you, from a prayer request to family and friends. Stay strong! ~Jackie Madacki

Anonymous said...

I go to bed each night thinking of Taye, Mikias, and you guys, and wake each morning with the same thought. I run to my computer to check his update. I am praying for you, as are many people at Beaumont Home Care that I have told about your family. Taye is so blessed to have come into a family that is so strong and so spiritual. You guys are so motivating, even to someone who reads your blogs. I cannot tell you how thrilling it is to see the improvements being made, now you know why they call them "baby steps". Keep up the prayers, stay strong, and thank God each day for all of your blessings..
Megan Cebulski

Anonymous said...

Taye,Joanna,Benjamin and Mikias,

I am leaving for work in a few minutes. Just know that you are in my thoughts and I will be there as soon as I can after school is out. I am struggling with going back, but I will give it my best---it will be my prayer for my grandson.

xxooox,
Gia

DDanielle said...

I'm so happy to hear about this progress! We continue to pray...can't wait to read about his first smile:-)

Anonymous said...

Our continued prayers go out to you all as you progress each day towards recovery. Unfortunately, we know all too well what it is like to be in the PICU but you are in good hands. The support is incredible and the Lord is holding your hand through this whole process.
Your updates are wonderful and a great way to keep informed.
love to you all
Jen and Mike Lewandowsk and Family

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the updates. It's especially important for those of us who live some distance away. We are so pleased about Taye's progress. We continue to pray for healing.
Uncle Bob and Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

I talked with Leanne last night and told her what I knew from reading it here..and told her to check it out. I, too, keep checking it every couple of hours to see the progress. Thank you both so much for doing this as it is so helpful to those of us who are not "right there" with you. The Lord is with you all and keeping you strong. Remember, God is good....all the time!
Kathy D.

Anonymous said...

I hope today is another day of "baby steps". Give my nephew a kiss and a hug, and know my thoughts and prayers will be with you all day. Hang in there with all the testing, and I will talk with you later.

I love you all.
Caroline

kikstra said...

So glad to hear of more progress & signs of healing- we're still enlisting all of the prayer warriors that we know!

Karen said...

It is wonderful to hear all the progess Taye has made! Hope today brings more baby steps and further healing for both the baby and the rest of the family.

Leanne said...

Joanna- I wish I could give you a big hug right now! I am so glad things are turning up...I will continue praying for Taye's recovery, and for you, Ben and Mikias as well. Love you guys...

Tom Delicati said...

Thanks for taking the time to post. I've been getting periodic updates via Alison & Steve, but reading things in your own words has been much more meaningful. I admire your strength and am hoping and praying constantly that Taye continues on his path to a strong recovery.

-Tom

P.S. - I just posted a few more Taye pictures to my facebook account.

Jason and Colleen said...

It is great to hear that there has been progress. Our entire family continues to pray for yours. Sofanit asks me regularly to check you blog to see if you have posted updates.

Anonymous said...

So very glad to hear Taye is making progress. You sound strong -- much stronger than your probably feel, but it's clear from what you write, what good parents you are. From my personal experience, there is nothing more surreal, more bizarre than a pediatric ICU. Hang in there. You have MANY of us praying for you -- people you know and those you've never even heard of.

Anonymous said...

The Lord is in those "baby steps" so they are strong steps! Our thoughts and prayers continue for you all daily. Love, Keith, Jo, Jessica & Alex

Katherine said...

I don't know you except through this blog and through Tom and Alison, but I do have a relationship with you through our Lord and Savior. My family and I continue to pray for you every night. We lift you before the throne for healing, courage and strength to get through this. Love in Him, Katherine and Scott Michener

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful things to read - and you put them so beautifully. I'm so glad he had done better with each day. Continued prayers for all of you - especially you as weary parents! ~Erica

Kelli said...

Steve has tried to keep me up on the day to day progress and I am grateful things are looking up. I am praying and have asked friends and family to pray for strength and miracles. ~ Kelli Duty

Anonymous said...

"I know that God would never give me more that I could handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much" - Mother Teresa. This is my parenting mantra. I am so glad to hear about all of the positive progress that Taye is making and that Mikias is doing well also.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Go, Taye, go! So glad that the healing is continuing for all three of you. Before you know it, Mikias will be showing Taye the glory of the Tumblebus!! ~Jen

Carol P said...

My prayers and those of Beer Middle School Kitchen are with you all.
Carol P

Anonymous said...

We haven't checked the blog in a week or so as we've been out of town. My goodness! From the heights to the depths - and back up those little steps that lead to wholeness and healing!Our love and prayers for you as parents and for Taye as he continues to gain strength. Keep those grandparents busy....Lois and Bob Rimbo