Sunday, June 14, 2009

Today and Tomorrow

These past few days have been full of emotion. My grandpa, who has had Alzheimer's disease for many years now, has been dying for several days. He passed away this morning. Fortunately, we were able to spend some time with him during these days. In fact, yesterday we took the boys to see grandpa for one last time. Although all he was doing was sleeping, Mikias talked to him and held his hand. And then when we left my mom helped Mikias put the sign of the cross on grandpa's forehead.

I'll definitely miss my grandpa. Although the disease had already taken so much from him over the years, he remained as charming and personable as ever. So many of my fondest memories of my childhood involve the things grandpa, Peter, and I did. Luckily, I'll always have those memories and they will always be a part of me.


Grandma & Grandpa singing and dancing - Christmas 2006


Grandpa meets Mikias - June 2007


Of course, amidst all this, Taye is still scheduled for surgery at 8am tomorrow morning. Even though there shouldn't be any issues at all, it does still make us a bit anxious. The surgery will last around 2 hours and he'll likely be in ICU at least for tomorrow night. From the neurosurgeon's estimation he'll probably remain in the hospital for a few days. We pray that everything is routine and that this is the last time we'll stay in the hospital for a LONG time.

Hopefully, we'll post updates on here after surgery so everyone is in the loop.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you all day. I know how much grandpa met to you and your family. I imagine he and my grandparents will be watching Taye from heaven, and sending him strength during his surgery and recovery. I will see you sometime tomorrow. All my love...and give Taye a kiss.

Caroline

Anonymous said...

The girls and I prayed for Taye tonight. We hope that all goes well in the morning

Debbie brown

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your Grandpa. We're thinking of you and your families. We'll be thinking of all of you tomorrow, too. Hope Taye's surgery goes well.

Wendy and Steve

HeatherV said...

Taye has been in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

bopclark said...

Ben, Our condolences on the passing of your grandfather. You and your family are in our thoughts & prayers.
Also, thinking about you & Joanna, "big bro" and "little bro" as surgery & recovery proceed to a successful conclusion.
Unc Brian & Aunt Chris

Mandy said...

I am so sorry about Grandpa. He was a wonderful man. We will be praying for you family and especially Taye as he has surgery. Let us kn ow if you need anything. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

We're so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. We'll be thinking of all of you and praying that all goes well for Taye's surgery.

Dave and Barb Unger

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandpa. Our thoughts are with your family and praying for a successful surgery and recovery for Taye. Sending our love to all...

Uncle Bob and Aunt Sue